Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HI!

So, according to Diana, I haven't updated in a while. It's not my fault! The internet has constantly been down for the last week. Everyone else could get on but the second I went to, it went down. Oh well, I'm here now, that's all that matters, right??

Can you believe I only have a month and a half here? I've been here for two and a half months already. I can't imagine what kind of crazy shenanigans and wacky hijinks are going to happen next. I feel like everything that could happen has. The majority of the people I hang out with (sit on the porches with) have gone or are leaving in the next week. I need to talk to Marta, my staff member to see when her family is going out because I need to go on an out next week to get my Polio booster and I found a ride...to Wenatchee at least. We'll see if I take the bus or if I can con someone from my family to come and pick me up. :) :) :)

This week is Abriendo Caminos (roughly translates to open path)! Spanish week. The food has been amazing! THe people have been wonderful and extremely willing to help and the music has been great! Every Vespers everyone ends up dancing and clapping and the village, especially for being at capacity, feels really relaxed. This is a nice change of pace from the craziness of the Johnson family reunion and the Luther College reunion (2 massive groups of over 50 here last week).

There was a meteor shower last night, but since we're on our 4th straight day of rain, it was too clowdy to see so a bunch of us watched Shrek 2 in Creekside.

Last Sunday, I went to Matins (my favorite service) and after ended up hanging out with my friend Andrew and Tom (one of the directors). When I told Tom that I was here for 2 more months he got really excited and told me that it made his day that I was staying for a while still...it made my day that it made his day. He's the director that told me I was the treasure.

There are some pretty cool decorations for Abriendo this week, I'll try to take some pictures now that I carry my camera with me everywhere. Also, there is a Mariachi band here...they're fantastic!

I just tried to upload some photos but this new memory card that I got (more than 32 Mb) doesn't read on my computer so I need to go and grab my camera cord.

I'll put pictures up soon.

Other than that, I've just been sitting on porches and knitting. Finally I made a few hats that dont have holes in them and fit heads (after making one outrageouly large and then making a little red had called tiny hat that people keep passing around). I like knitting! I never thought I would.

I know this was kind of a lame update but think of all the pictures you'll get to see! I've been pretty good about taking them lately.

6 comments:

  1. maybe you should knit a camrera cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay knitting! :) That's so cool that its Spanish stuff this week. Relaxed Holden vibe plus vibrant happy Spanish vibe sounds absolutely awesome. Wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Diana's camera cozy idea has merit. If I weren't leaving this weekend I would drive you to Wenatchee!! A mariachi band?? I knew Holden was cool, but that's really really cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abriendo Caminos is the bomb. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)

    P.S. Maybe I will knit a camera cozy, then I can be as cool as Andrew. Spanish week is awesome.

    I'm happy about the crowd reading and commenting on my blog. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Diana just wants to see a camera cozy to go with her soap bottle one she made alreade...hehe. If your family can't come get you I will. Just email me or Diana and she'll relay the message. I think having a new camera is amazing...take more pictures....please!

    ReplyDelete